Sony Corp--Vice President
In the fall of 2003, I was recruited by the CEO of a new Sony division to conceptualize and execute the business strategy of Sony’s first commercial digital download enterprise Sony Connect. Here are a few highlights that I oversaw for this assignment:
- Recruited dedicated team to liaise with all major record labels and 300+ Indies.
- Managed the programming of weekly digital store promotions, new content acquisitions, executive producing exclusive live studio sessions and liaison with key senior level record label executives.
- Drove the revenue strategy for music downloads that included P&L managment, marketing and strategic forecasting.
- Created a partnership with United Airlines and convinced United’s CMO to launch Sony Connect with the first in-flight concert with Sheryl Crow on a chartered Boeing 777 with VIP guests & journalists.
- Developed the first digital download campaign for a national TV network offering live downloads of music performances via a partnership with ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Show.
- Produced exclusive digital downloads of performances immediately after the network broadcast of NBC’s Tsunami Aid and MTV’s Katrina Aid.
- Launched International marketing campaign with McDonald’s via “Big Mac Meal Tracks” in 5 countries with $30 million ad campaign.
- Negotiated exclusive and unreleased tracks from Oasis and John Legend for a national music download promotion with Coors Light .
Connect Sets was a concept that Neil Schield created and I had the privilege of supporting and figuring out how to make the business model work. Many of the artists did this live "living room" style recording early in their career before the other media outlets had expressed interest including Taylor Swift, Keane, John Legend, Snow Patrol, The Decemberists and All-American Rejects. You can still buy some of these recordings in iTunes and Amazon.
One of the CONNECT Music Store’s exclusive features was CONNECT Sets, a series of intimate and often acoustic musical performances by a wide array of recording artists from popular to emerging. Over 350 live concert and in-studio sessions were produced by music producer Robert Shahnazarian (Feudal Productions).
Notable Artists Who Have Recorded CONNECT Sets: Angelique Kidjo, Augustana, All-American Rejects, All Time Low, Amber Pacific, Amos Lee, Anberlin, Andy Bell, Anna Nalick,Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Brandi Carlile, Chris Tomlin, Copeland, Crosby and Nash, Dead City Sunday, The Derailers, DMC, Dredg, Earl Greyhound, Editors, Eisley, Flogging Molly,Giant Drag, Gogol Bordello, Hanson, Hawk Nelson, Hidden In Plain View, Hinder, Joe Nichols, John Legend, Joshua Bell, Kasabian, Keane, Kelly Clarkson, Lacuna Coil, Meg & Dia,McFly, Phantom Planet, Rachael Yamagata, Red, Simon Dawes, Slum Village, Snow Patrol, Taylor Swift, Tegan and Sara, Tears for Fears, Ted Leo, Terron Brooks, Thavius Beck, The Decemberists, The Killers, The Oohlas, Toby Lightman, Train, Van Hunt, and We Are Scientists.