Major League Soccer
In Dec 2009, I was invited by the MLS digital team to create the business plan to launch MLS Mobile.
The challenge was to create the strategy and launch their first effort with mobile within 90 days to coincide with the MLS season start.
We built the plan utilizing a succinct mobile product development approach that included specialized mobile video networks, WAP/mobile web sites, SMS/text messaging for Game of the Week voting, in addition to creating the foundation for potential future international initiatives.
Because of limited internal resources, a key element of the strategic plan was outsourcing via an aggressive process to select the best vendor to build their iPhone and iPad mobile apps.
The Goal of the Week campaign created deep intergration of mobile text voting with a call to action embeded into each video distributed including their YouTube distribution.
A unique feature of the SMS strategy was registering the same shortcode (22442) in USA, Canada and Mexico to provide a platform for future North America sponsorship promotions with one shortcode in 3 countries.
We created a very detailed and aggressive RFP to solict vendors to build the iPhone and iPad mobile app.
Double Encore based in Denver was awarded the contract and delivered a great app that has consistantly generated a 4.5 out of 5 star consumer rating in the Apple app store.
MLS MatchDay 2010, the official Major League Soccer iPhone and iPod Touch app, brings the game to you. Follow the 2010 MLS Cup Playoffs—anytime, anywhere.
Watch every goal. Follow real-time play-by-play direct from the stadium. Personalize the app with your favorite Club and get the latest news, scores, stats, highlights, videos, and more.
Download it for free or visit www.MLSsoccer.com/app.
- Watch individual highlights moments after they happen.
- Watch complete game highlights after the game has ended.
- Live scores and play-by-play of every MLS game.
- Customize your app: quick access to your favorite Club’s news, photos, rosters, and scores.
- Featured Video Channels including AT&T Goal of the Week, The Daily, and What’s New.
- Personalized Alerts for your Club, individual games, and specific match events.
- Explore the field and stadium with our unique MatchCenter.
- Connect with fans during games via Facebook by sharing comments and reactions.